Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Better Late than Never

Wow, I can't believe it's already been more than a month since I last posted a blog. My bad! Having very sketchy internet is gonna be my excuse for now, but we recently switched to a more reliable internet service so that should help from here on out. Also, I now can use my own computer which means photos of mine can be added to the blog again (if it doesn't take f o r e v e r).

We've basically been up to the same things as usual since the last post. I've been having rehearsals and concerts, and Jay's been working hard preparing and teaching his English lessons. He also started playing in the jazz band here recently after a year of waiting for things to work out with his visa. Things haven't officially "worked out" completely, but at least we are on the right road now.

One unforeseen benefit of the trouble with visas in general is that Jay got to spend a week in NYC in October, courtesy of a Brasilian who needed something from the states but couldn't get a tourist visa. I have to admit it was a bit strange to be the one left behind while he got to travel somewhere fun, but I guess there is a first time for everything! And I certainly ended up benefitting from his stateside trip since he brought back a suitcase full of edible goodies for us.

Just a sample of the foods we miss and don't have here in Manaus.... peanut butter, pretzels, mac&cheese, maple syrup, pancake mix, tortilla chips, taco seasoning, refried beans, and bagels. We can live without most of the food we're used to, but it's hard to get over the loss of Mexican food. We're trying our best to make the nachos, burritos, and tacos last as long as possible!



That would be my toasted everything bagel 
with peanut butter and butter. It was heaven!!!

I know that the experience of living here will leave us with a very deep appreciation for all of the choices and conveniences of food in the States. In the meanwhile, we will continue to savor every jar of peanut butter to the finger-lickin end!


No comments:

Post a Comment