Monday, June 14, 2010

My First Race

I've had quite a few "firsts" since moving to Manaus, but the one I am most proud of is running in my first 10 km race. My good friend Debora and I have been diligently going to the gym since the fall, and I can safely say that all the effort has paid off for us. Sunday morning we completed our first race, and now we can't wait to do another!
We found out about the race on Tuesday night, and I immediately ran 10 km on the treadmill (for the first time although I've been running for 45-60 mins 3x week for more than a month). I ran everyday this week to prepare for Sunday and did another 10 km run on Friday afternoon. My goal was to finish in one hour, but once I got out on the road I thought maybe just having a goal of not stopping at all would be more attainable. It was 100 degrees at 8:30 in the morning when we started and you can imagine how humid it is here in the rainforest. Plus on top of the hot sun and lack of shade on the route, there were so many hills! 
To make a long story short, I finished in 52 minutes and achieved both of my goals. It was a difficult run to be sure, but totally worth the effort. It was such a fun atmosphere there, too, with all the different sorts of runners and who doesn't love free watermelon on a hot day?! 

Before the Corrida Rustica

Debora, Marcelo (trainer at our gym), and me after the race

We did it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment