Monday, June 28, 2010

Vacation!

I suppose technically neither Jay nor I are on vacation, but being in the States is close enough for me! Jay had to stay back in Manaus, but I flew to NYC a few days ago to spend some quality time with my girlfriends before heading off to Virginia. I had an amazing time in New York seeing friends, going out to eat, shopping a bit, and running errands. It felt great to be back in the states right away, and while I do miss my friends and Jay in Brasil, I am very happy to be here now. As much as I like speaking portuguese, there is just something comforting about being able to say what you want when you want without having to think too hard.
Anyway, I am currently in beautiful Virginia to play in the Castleton Music Festival with Maestro Lorin Maazel. I knew this was going to be something special when I saw the limo waiting at the bus station to drive us to the festival. Definitely got off to a great start! It only got better when we arrived to see what an amazing part of the country this is located in. We're surrounded by big trees, the Blue Ridge mountains in the Shenandoah Valley, fresh water creeks and lakes, and lots of animals. So far I've already seen a fox, raccoon, and deer on the roads, and llamas, goats, zebra, zonkey!, horses, and cows on farms. I left my camera in NYC so I don't have evidence of the natural beauty all around me here (or the zonkey) except using my computer's camera, but when I get it back, I will post some better pics.

Our house surrounded by gardens

Hard to tell, but that is the lake

Out on one the many porches here

We start our rehearsals tomorrow, and I am looking forward to playing with everyone here. The people I have met have all been very nice and down to earth. I'm staying in someone's guest house with other musicians, and my housemates are all cool. Our house is situated on a dirt road with its own lake, trails, and a tennis court from what I hear. I haven't had much time to explore yet, but I plan on exploring tomorrow on a run around here.
The only slightly unfortunate aspect of this place so far is the high temps- 100 degrees today- and high humidity- 85%. Good thing the last year in Manaus has prepared me for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment