Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mahler 1 Concert

I have officially played my last concert as a pregnant woman. For the last 2 weeks, our orchestra has been rehearsing Mahler's Symphony No. 1 with the Experimental Orquestra (youth symphony), and we played a side by side concert this week. As a trombonist, it's always fun to play Mahler, and although it was not a perfect performance, the energy of the group was great. Jay even said it was an "inspiring performance."
One of the big feats for me in this concert, being 30 weeks pregnant, was the fact that I made it through the whole piece (more than an hour long) without needing to go to the bathroom. The lil guy squirmed around a lot during the concert. I think he is a big Mahler fan!

Side by side concert

Low brass section

Our bows at the end 

Because of the timing of the opera festival, I won't be playing any operas this season. While I do want to continue playing until he's born, cramming into the hot pit for 4 + hour rehearsals would probably not be a great idea for anyone. It's hard enough to maneuver around down there without a big belly getting in the way. 
It's kind of amusing how many people think I am due any day now. It's pretty funny to see their faces when I say I still have more than 2 months left. Jay and I are looking forward to seeing how much bigger my belly will get in the next 10 weeks, and of course, we can't wait to hold our lil guy in our arms! 

2 comments:

  1. Great! I've seen the Mahler 1 concert in Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil, played by the OSPA(Orquestra Sinfônica de Porto Alegre), with my nephew, Rodrigo Andrade Silveira on violloncello. He spent 4 years in New York city and graduated as a cellist in the Julliard School, a good training! When he returned he played in OSPA, in POA, and now he went to São Paulo, he's living there and is playing with the OSESP(Orquestra Sinfônica de São Paulo).This world is small and maybe somebody may know him... Best regards, Richard Andrade,
    http://www.florestasamazonicas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it really is a small world! I don't know your nephew but it's possible our paths will cross someday. I wish you luck with your mission to stop deforestation of the much needed Amazon.

    ReplyDelete