Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mmmm... Frog Legs

I'm not sure if it has to do with being pregnant or the fact that I have more spare time now that I am not playing with the orchestra, but I have been on quite a cooking kick lately. Nothing special, just making real food for lunch and dinner more than usual and not going out to eat so much. By real food, I mean we're eating less grilled cheeses and Top Ramen (a favorite of Jay) and more roasts with veggies, paprika chicken with brown rice, etc. 
One of the greatest kitchen appliances I have come to love thanks to living in Brazil is the pressure cooker. I had only heard horror stories about it being dangerous in the States, so I was surprised how many people use one here. You'd think in the US of all places, people would prefer the speedy cooking with a pressure cooker (45 minutes for a 3lb roast with perfect potatoes and carrots) over the slow, all day cooking with a crock-pot. And for the record, I use my pressure cooker about 3-4 times a week and have never had any explosions or near explosions. 
So last week I thought it would be nice to have some chicken with veggies for lunch. I looked to see what I could throw in the pot, and I found some fresh kale we bought a couple days before. I pulled it out of the fridge, washed each leaf, and set it down to start trimming it. At that point, I saw something small and brown under the top leaf and called Jay over in a hurry. As he moved the top leaf, we both saw two little black eyes looking up at us. Turns out a little frog had come home with us on the kale 2 days earlier, chilled out a bit in the fridge, and almost got boiled for lunch! 


Needless to say, we didn't end up eating any kale with our lunch. Hopefully that little froggy enjoyed his break from the heat of Manaus once he thawed out :) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment