Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Blues

Sometimes it's hard to believe what a small world we live in. A couple weeks back, Jay and I had the pleasure of meeting the members of Eli Yamin's Blues Band. They are currently doing a tour, presenting workshops and concerts, through parts of South America on a grant from Lincoln Center. We heard about the concerts through a friend of ours that works at the school where they performed, which happens to be one of the most reputable English schools in Manaus and only one block from our house.
Anyway, we went to a workshop the first day they were here and really enjoyed the experience. The band is comprised of a pianist/singer- Eli Yamin, singer- Kate McGarry, drummer-LeFrae Sic, and tuba-Bob Stewart. All of them are amazing musicians and gave a very thoughtful workshop that explored the roots and rhythms of blues. Kids and adults alike really seemed to have a good time listening and learning. I was so inspired that I came home singing my own blues (a happy blues, that is)!  
After the workshop, Jay and I introduced ourselves to the band and soon discovered that we used to live in the same neighborhood as them in NYC! It was fun to talk to some American musicians, especially such cool ones from our old hood, and we found out that we even have some mutual friends there. Never thought we'd end up in Manaus hangin with New Yorkers!
When they found out that Jay plays, they invited him to join them the next night at their concert. I wish I could've gone to hear them play, but I had my own concert that night. I heard from other friends that Jay got a standing ovation from the crowd, and I know he had a great time jammin. I unfortunately don't have any action shots, but here's some from after the concert.

Jay and the world-renowned tubist, Bob Stewart

Us with the amazing drummer, LeFrae

I highly recommend checking out this band cause they are the real deal! 


No comments:

Post a Comment