Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Quick Update

Our internet has not been working lately, so I haven't been able to update everyone on our goings on around here. Desculpe (sorry)!
But I am going to take advantage of this quick opportunity, courtesy of a very gracious neighbor, to write a little sumpin sumpin....
In the last blog, I told you about Jay's first Muay Thai test, and I am happy to report that he advanced to the next level!! I am so proud of him and happy that he has found something new he really enjoys to do. He is very dedicated to it, and let me tell you, it really shows in his super lean and muscular body!! He is looking muito bom!!
The Opera Festival continues on until the end of May, but we are finished playing Villa-Lobos' Yerma. The youth orchestra played Gounod's Romeo and Juliet last week, and I was happy to be able to actually see what's going on on the stage. It kinda sucks being stuck in the back of the pit with just a view of the maestro and the first row of the audience. I had to see the opera in two installments cause Jay was not interested in staying after intermission for the second half, so I went back another day and left him at home. I can't really blame him, as the opera is 4 hours long!!! They did a great job though, and we were both impressed with the scale of things. They do not hold anything back when it comes to production here, and it's very evident in the performances. I would post some pics, but it takes forever, so I will do that another time.
We also had a great time the other night at our American friend Summer's Mexican Dinner party. It was the three of us Americans, several Brazilians, and a new friend from New Zealand passing through Manaus this week. Brazilians, and New Zealanders as it turns out, do not have much of an idea of what Mexican food is, so it was a new experience for the other people involved. We made homemade tortillas and refried beans (no canned beans here!), and Summer even made some sour cream from yogurt. Everything tasted amazing, and it was lots of fun hanging out with them.

Our delicious Mexican creations

Speaking of Mexican food, Happy Cinco de Mayo tomorrow to you all!!! Or as we say around our house, Happy Cinco de Jayo!!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment